Thursday, October 18, 2007

We are now 2 plots!!!

A very long story which I won't bore you with but D has now officially got his own plot at the allotments!! It is the vacant one adjacent to our current plot which we had been strimming the weeds to stop the seeds straying over us. So although that will be 'HIS' plot and the current one will remain 'MINE' we will actually be making some changes and blurring the lines between the two plots so we'll have one huge one!

'D' standing admiring 'HIS' plot next to 'MY' Plot!

We had talked about it for a long time, wondering if we would be slightly mad to take on another plot ( I think we probably are!) but what the hell, you only live once. We plan to use it to grow more veg on but also there will be a lot of flowers for cutting. We spend a small fortune on flowers from supermarkets, for ourselves and for friends when we go for dinner or the weekend, so we're hoping this will put an end to that and enable us to grow our own.

I went up to the plot on Monday to dig over the bed for the broad beans to go in. When I arrived Sue and Will were busy digging next door but kindly stopped long enough to inform me that I have a family of rats living by my shed!! I HATE RATS!!!
Sue was telling me that they had seen them climbing up the sweetcorn plants, so we walked over to find that the little bastards had stripped every single cob completely clean. Over the next half hour we saw THREE of the buggers which just makes my skin crawl, I am not going to mess about, I've already got some poison from mice we had earlier in the year at home so come the weekend Roland and his friends will have to say bye bye! I'm also looking at getting a battery operated sonic wotsit which I can put in the shed to keep any others away.

Oh the joys of communing with nature!!!

No comments: